Saturday, January 9, 2010

First workout of the new year

Hi there, good people!
Today was my first workout not only this year but in months! Last night, I was feeling sort of "off." I was achy, my head hurt, and I was incredibly fatigued. I felt like I had the flu but without the other crap that comes with it. This morning, I woke up with the headache still and feeling only slightly better but still decided to drag myself out to my kickboxing class.

Admittedly, I wasn't exactly eager for movement. It is incredibly cold in Dallas, colder than it's been since I moved here in 2003 and I really just wanted to keep laying down and watching Food Network, but I knew that if I was to start on a new path, I would need a push and group exercise does that for me.

I arrived 10 minutes late and as was to be expected, the class was packed with new faces wanting a new start as well. The first 15 minutes felt like I had never left, but after that, I grew nauseous, my body felt weak and I just couldn't get those kicks up like I wanted to.

It was towards the end of the class as we were laying on the mats doing crunches that I had an epiphany: I would take a zen approach to my health and fitness this year. No more all or nothing diet plans. No more pushing myself to the brink of exhaustion with my exercise just so I could feel like I had done something good. I would ease myself into better health. I would run slower if I needed to, kick lower if I must, and forget picking up yet ANOTHER weight loss book. I will cook my meals and enjoy the process and use my common sense. In other words, I will listen to my body and obey what it is telling me. If it says "go faster" or "slow down," I will. For this to become a lifestyle, it can no longer be something I start and stop because it's gotten too hard to maintain.

The thing with being "Zen" is that it requires focus and discipline, two skills that I find myself often without, but I will rest assured knowing that I'm doing something, rather than nothing at all.

Happy Trails!

Zen Lara

No comments:

Post a Comment