Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The week from...


I am sitting here at almost midnight, wide awake because last night, I slept for 11 hours straight! Then woke up and slept for 3 more hours. It turns out the "not so hot" feeling I had when I last wrote was the beginning of a sinus infection. I initially thought it was the flu and tried to self-medicate and for a week threw down copious amounts of Theraflu and Nyquil to no avail. Finally, yesterday, when my throat began to swell and I felt like I was swallowing pins, I acquiesed and went to the doctor where I was promptly diagnosed with the sinus infection and sent home with $100 worth of meds and a doctor's note for a day off.

This has also been the week when the earth shook for 35 seconds in Haiti and took with it thousands of beautiful Haitian souls. When I began to hear the reports and started looking at pictures, a part of my spirit broke and I wept for a nation already in crisis now faced with hell on earth. I know everyone is asking for donations and so many people have already given, but if you haven't, please do.

This has also been the week when a week ago, I closed on my first home, signed the gazillion papers I needed to sign, found out I would have to pay an exorbitant amount to break my lease and then was told that my paperwork didn't go through with the house due to a "glitch" in the system and new guidelines. So now a week later, still without my keys and the hopes it's all resolved tomorrow, I sit patiently waiting.

Every cloud has a silver lining...if you look for it.
The sinus infection caused me to lose my appetite for darn near everything so I lost 2lbs. Ha ha. I know it's a stretch but silver lining people, silver lining.

It is incredibly difficult to find a silver lining in the Haitian crisis, except the hope that is coming from the situation, the rush to aid I've seen demonstrated in individuals around the world, and hopefully the attention that country has needed for YEARS is finally coming to it. Personally, whenever I have wanted to feel sorry for myself this past week I keep thinking "What if I was in Haiti?" One day even, as I took a hot shower, I was filled with gratitude for how good a hot shower feels and how much of a luxury that is.

The house situation will resolve itself and I'll soon be in my first home, cooking healthy meals and exercising and finally finding some balance in my life so all I have to do is wait.

Patience, gratitude, perseverance...

Peace,
Lara.

1 comment:

  1. Hey girl,
    I got your e-mail and wrote back last Wednesday, I take it you didn't receive it? Just thought I'd let you know here instead, hope you don't mind. :)
    Katja

    ReplyDelete